Patricia MacDonald received her Master of Arts in Counselling Psychology from McGill University with work experience in counselling, crisis intervention, career and vocational counselling, and psychometric assessment administration and interpretation.
Patricia’s current clinical interests and experience include treating adolescents and adults experiencing difficulties with; anxiety disorders (panic, social, specific, and generalized anxiety disorder), depression, trauma (sexual, physical, psychological, developmental, and emotional), Post- Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), emotion regulation, and interpersonal difficulties. Patricia enjoys working with adult children of alcoholics (ACOA), military, first responders, and the veteran population, including assessments and treatment. She has received specialized training in best practices for working with this population in Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT) and Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR). Patricia currently co-facilitates an overcoming anxiety workshop with her colleague Caelin Nadin where they integrate yoga therapy and various empirically validated treatments for anxiety disorders.
In working with individuals, Patricia values a collaborative approach built on openness and trust; establishing a secure and stable environment is important to her. She relies on empirically validated interventions such as Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy (CBT), CPT, Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, and Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT), while also integrating other interventions based on the client’s individual needs. Patricia also recently completed her training in Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), an integrative psychotherapy approach that has been extensively researched with demonstrated effectiveness for the treatment of trauma and many other mental health problems
Patricia’s Top 10 Reading List:
1. Toxic Parents: Overcoming their hurtful legacy and reclaiming your life. Author: Susan Forward.
2. Children of the Self-Absorbed: A Grown-Ups Guide to Getting Over Narcissistic Parents. Author: Nina Brown.
3. The Disease to Please: Curing the People-Pleasing Syndrome. Author: Harriet Braiker.
4. Adult Children of Alcoholics: Expanded Edition. Author: Janet Woititz.
5. Coping with Trauma Related Dissociation: Skills Training for Patients and Therapists. Authors: Suzette Boon, Kathy Steele, Onno Der Hart Van
6. The Power of Acceptance: Finding Peace from Anxiety and Panic Attacks. Author: Judith Bemis.
7. The Boy Who Was Raised as a Dog. Author: Bruce Perry and Maia Szalavitz.
8. Too Scared to Cry: How Trauma Affects Children, and Ultimately Us All. Author: Lenore Terr.
9. Six Months in Sudan: A Young Doctor in a War-Torn Village. Author: Dr. James Maskalyk.
10. Among You: The Extraordinary True Story of a Soldier Broken by War. Author: Jake Wood.