Patricia has clinical interests and experience in treating adolescents and adults experiencing difficulties with; anxiety disorders (panic, social, specific, and generalized anxiety disorder), depression, trauma (sexual, physical, psychological, and emotional), post traumatic stress disorder, dissociative disorders, emotion regulation, and interpersonal difficulties.
Patricia’s experience working with children of substance abusing parents and parents with mental illness is highly collaborative. She relies on best practices and empirically validated interventions such as Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT), Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, and Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT), while also integrating other interventions based on client’s needs. Patricia also recently completed her certification in Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), an integrative psychotherapy approach that has been extensively researched with demonstrated effectiveness for the treatment of trauma and many other mental health problems.
Patricia’s Top 10 Reading List:
1. Toxic Parents: Overcoming their hurtful legacy and reclaiming your life. Author: Susan Forward.
2. Children of the Self-Absorbed: A Grown-Ups Guide to Getting Over Narcissistic Parents. Author: Nina Brown.
3. The Disease to Please: Curing the People-Pleasing Syndrome. Author: Harriet Braiker.
4. Adult Children of Alcoholics: Expanded Edition. Author: Janet Woititz.
5. Coping with Trauma Related Dissociation: Skills Training for Patients and Therapists. Authors: Suzette Boon, Kathy Steele, Onno Der Hart Van
6. The Power of Acceptance: Finding Peace from Anxiety and Panic Attacks. Author: Judith Bemis.
7. The Boy Who Was Raised as a Dog. Author: Bruce Perry and Maia Szalavitz.
8. Too Scared to Cry: How Trauma Affects Children, and Ultimately Us All. Author: Lenore Terr.
9. Six Months in Sudan: A Young Doctor in a War-Torn Village. Author: Dr. James Maskalyk.
10. Among You: The Extraordinary True Story of a Soldier Broken by War. Author: Jake Wood.